What is Personal Information?
Personal information is information that can be attributed to an identifiable individual. Information that has been aggregated or otherwise made anonymous does not constitute personal information.
Sources of Personal Information Collected by Pioneer.
Pioneer generally only collects personal information from you or from someone who may provide personal information on your behalf, such as your parent. This personal information is typically provided through your interaction with Pioneer or Pioneer Websites. For example, you provide personal information when you:
- set up an account on the Pioneer Websites;
- complete forms, whether through the Pioneer Websites or otherwise;
- submit entry forms for contests or other promotions or respond to surveys;
- register Pioneer products or download product manuals;
- provide us with warranty or service-related communications;
- sign up for email newsletters;
- otherwise communicate with us, whether electronically, by phone, mail or otherwise.
Pioneer may collect personal information from a third party whom you have authorized to provide us with information, such as our authorized dealers, our marketing partners or a business information provider.
What Personal Information Does Pioneer Collect?
We only collect personal information that is relevant to our relationship with you. The type of personal information we generally collect and maintain includes your name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, purchase and warranty history, communications or complaints you may have about our products or services, a record of promotions offered to you, your product preferences and your participation in any of our promotions, contests, or surveys. We collect your personal information in connection with a variety of interactions we may have with you, including:
- If you register Pioneer products, or download product manuals, from the Pioneer Websites you may need to set up an account. When you set up an account, you will provide your name, mailing address and e-mail address, and create a password.
- When you sign up for email newsletters you will provide your e-mail address.
- When you purchase something from a Pioneer Website we will collect information needed to fulfill your purchase, including your contact details and payment details.
- During the registration or account set-up process, or at other places on the Pioneer Websites, you may have the opportunity to indicate areas about which you would like to receive more information. We use this information to offer you a variety of benefits, such as notification of special offers we think you'll find valuable. You may also be asked whether you would like to participate in future surveys. Participation in any of these programs is, of course, at your option, and you may opt out later if you change your mind.
- We maintain information on your participation in our warranty programs, including any warranty claims or other service claims or inquiries you may have made.
- You may provide communications to us from time to time, including feedback, concerns and questions.
- We may collect personal information you post in public forums such as chat rooms, message boards, and/or news groups made available on the Pioneer Websites. Pioneer encourages you to remember that information disclosed in public forums is public information, and caution should be exercised when disclosing personal information.
What Other Information Does Pioneer Collect?
More Information About Cookies: Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer's hard drive through your Web browser to enable us to personalize your Web browsing experience, including allowing our system to record your logon and password. The "help" portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. However, cookies allow you to take advantage of several features on the Pioneer Websites, and we recommend that, in order to benefit from these features, you leave them turned on.
Some of the Pioneer Websites may also use local shared objects known as “Flash cookies” to store your preferences or display content based upon what you view on the Websites in order to personalize your visit. Flash cookies are different from browser cookies because of the amount and types of data collected and how it is stored. Cookie management tools provided by your browser will not remove Flash cookies, but you should see a dialog box asking to store information on your computer. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies, including how to delete them, click here for additional information: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html.
How is My Personal Information Used?
Pioneer only collects your personal information in connection with your interaction and relationship with Pioneer. These purposes include:
- Administering any transaction entered into with you, including the provision of products, services and information you have requested as well as processing any related purchase or return;
- Verifying your identity in accordance with established industry practice in connection with any purchases, warranty claims or other interactions with you.
- Understanding your preferences to allow us to provide you with customized offerings or communications, including promotions that we believe will be of interest to you;
- Responding to any communications you have provided to us, including all claims, complaints, questions or concerns you may have.
- Determining your eligibility for our products and services.
- Administering your participation in any services we offer including warranty programs, promotions and contests.
If you have opted in to receive emails from us, we may use your contact information for the purposes of providing you with information that we believe will interest you and may otherwise solicit your opinion on our products or services.
Email: We would like to set up a dialogue with our customers through the use of email. We hope to provide you with useful and interesting information on new technologies and also provide you a channel for feedback. If you have opted in to receive emails and at any time you wish to remove your email address from Pioneer's email list, you can do so by selecting the opt-out option in a Pioneer email or by updating “My Account” online.
Does Pioneer Share My Personal Information?
Pioneer may disclose personal information for legal reasons. For example, Pioneer may be required to disclose personal information pursuant to a court order or in response to a subpoena. In addition, Pioneer may need to disclose your personal information to protect its rights and property, including to investigate fraud or other misconduct.
Aggregated (consolidated) demographic information which does not reveal information attributable to an identifiable individual may be shared with third party advertisers to describe our online customer base. This information is purely statistical in nature and cannot be tied to the individuals who provided the data.
When you click the “Like” button for a Pioneer product, you are providing that information to Facebook, Inc., and its use will be governed by Facebook’s Data Use Policy: https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/
How Is Personal Information Protected?
Physical, electronic and administrative safeguards have been implemented to protect your personal information from unauthorized access and use. These safeguards are commensurate with the sensitivity of the personal information involved. While we follow reasonable procedures according to industry standards, no security system is perfect and we cannot guarantee that your information will remain secure in all circumstances.
Where Is Your Personal Information Located?
If you would like to obtain access to written information about Pioneer’s policies and practices with respect to its service providers located outside of Canada or otherwise have any questions regarding these service providers, please contact our Privacy Officer as described under the heading Accessing, Updating and Learning More About Personal Information Collected below.
Retention Practices and Information Options
Personal information is only maintained as long as prudent business practices dictate. You can manage your personal information options, including your subscription preferences and what personal information we maintain by accessing, modifying, deleting or otherwise managing your information and preferences using the My Account function on the Pioneer Websites. Please note that you will not have the option to delete all personal information we have about you, including personal information related to warranty claims and refunds.
Accessing, Updating and Learning More about Personal Information Collected
- have any questions or concerns about the personal information collected about you or our privacy practices;
- wish to obtain written information about Pioneer’s policies and practices with respect to its service providers located outside Canada;
- have any questions regarding the collection, use, disclosure or storage of personal information by Pioneer’s service providers outside Canada;
- wish to access or update your personal information; or
please contact Pioneer’s Privacy Offer at Privacy.Policy@pioneer-usa.com.
Links to External Sites
Any external (non-Pioneer) websites to which we provide links will be subject to their own privacy policies and practices, and you will need to review those policies. Pioneer is not responsible for the practices of such sites.
Effective Effective October 19, 2015